Wednesday, December 2, 2009

An exam, a wedding and a lot more

This incident happened just today.

I just finished my CAT two days ago. And it felt really weird. Last year, when we came back from CAT, we headed straight to PP’s (a pub in ‘downtown Nagpur’) where I proceeded to watch the others drink away while I munched on my paneer malai. And emotions were really high. I still remember the way I announced that no one should discuss the paper, and Kanabar (my friend and bandmate) perhaps not liking the tone of my voice, retorted with an angry ‘Who’s doing it anyway’. We proceeded to argue and shout it out and soon cooled off (when he grabbed his beer).

This year though was a totally different affair. I went alone to a Lokmanya Tilak College of Engineering in Kopar Khairane (Navi Mumbai). Now, here comes the weird part. I don’t particularly like mingling with college crowds other than the ones I’m familiar with, and having studied in Nagpur our wavelengths don’t exactly match. ‘Hao na be, bhasad, and doling out generous amounts of references to sisters and mothers was the norm at our institute, while most of the Bombay people go for ‘Dude’ and the likes. And it didn’t help much when the persons behind me were discussing why Kasab should have come to LTCE and not CST. So I just kept to myself.

I had to wait for one and a half hours before the test started, during which time I counted the number of leaves in the curtains, the number of tiles in the roof, the number of swing panels in the air conditioner and also analysed my photograph in detail to get to know why they suck so much. I failed to arrive at a conclusion for the photo riddle, but I did conclude that this year’s CAT was one of the worst disasters in the history of the exam (which also includes a leaked paper). Feel nahi ayi is all I can say.

But this isn’t about that. Immediately after the CAT was Arvind’s sister’s wedding in Karjat. So me, Tanmay and Alokraj set out on the long journey to the place. After having some really good food (Thanks, Arvind!) we set out some time in the afternoon. We were cruising along on NH – 4, when our driver missed a turn towards Panvel, which is when he decided to take a quick U – turn. Here is where he made the error of not signaling his intent through indicators. From the opposite end, a bike sped in and almost rammed into us, since the rider was busy chatting away on his mobile. Our driver coolly ignored him and sped away (since a bike can’t catch up with an Indigo Marina). But a toll booth to cut us short and the bike caught up with us. And that was when it happened.

The guy got down, opened the door, and beat the hell out of our driver. We were totally stunned by what happened, what with our previous experience in such matters. In fact, just a few minutes ago, Tanmay had said, “Load kya hai. Apan paanch hai aur woh do.” But when our driver was on the receiving end of slaps and kicks, we couldn’t do much except stop them from doing so, which we eventually did, thanks to the toll booth guy. But the last line which the guy uttered is still fresh in my mind. He said, “Tu Marathi manoos ahe mhanunach me sodtoy tula (I’m letting you off, only because you’re a Maharashtrian).” I wonder what would have happened if he wouldn’t have been a ‘son of the soil’.

Alokraj raised the most pertinent question of the event, when he asked, “Is that how they do it here? What if the driver wasn’t Marathi?” (He’s new to the city, if I’m not wrong)

I, for one, had no answer, and could only manage an embarrassed and awkward shrug of the shoulders.

8 comments:

Digant Trivedi said...

Agggggggressive fellow got beaten up? Saala, akkha time he used to say bullshit and soopercrap about this and that!. But man, that dialogue I have heard before! And they actually think that way!

No in Gujarat though, they'll do the same as you and nearly bang you head on!

SSD said...

@Digant Not aggressive fellow, but our driver.

Neeraj said...

Ha! So who drove you back?

Btw what is 'bhasad'?

And yes, that is indeed how they do it here. But not just here, they do it like that everywhere.

Vivek Kumar said...

its indeed the situation man....
in most parts of our own country we're made to feel as strangers....
i guess indian govt should start issuing tourist visas n work visas when we go to some state other than our "home states".....

SSD said...

@Neeraj Its not like that everywhere. North India isn't like that. I can vouch for that.

'Bhasad' is the VNIT term for masti/keeda.

@Vivek India will disintegrate the day that happens

Grace Personified said...

actually, here up north, people can be pretty aggressive too, and not only road rage but road rage combined with regional feelings,the Jat-Bihari rivalry being a case in point.

Pratham Dev said...

@ all : Yes it happens everywhere in India ... with different degrees .. My taxi driver from M.P. was about to slap my boss for not addressing him ' aap' instead of ' tum' // and he spared him saying " Buddhe, Tu yahan ka nahi !@#@#$% nahin , to @#$% muh main de deta tha.. :D

Nikki said...

Poor driver!