Saturday, April 17, 2010

Amdavad Chhe Part 1

I visited Ahmedabad last week. It was after 18 long years that I was heading to Gujarat. I used to stay in Porbander when I was two years old, but I don't think that counts for much. Plus, Ahmedabad was my first time. And I decided to take Saurashtra Exp, since it involved a day journey and I wanted to 'experience the natural beauty of Gujarat'. HUGE mistake number one.

The route from Mumbai to Ahmedabad is HOT. REALLY HOT. I had bought a sleeper ticket, and I was on the upper berth (which is confusing since if you wanted to see the beautiful sun-baked fields, you need to be at the window). And the upper berth had the beautiful heat of the 43 degree sun reaching me directly, and 'Saurabh Fry' was served even before it struck twelve. Abhi toh picture baaki hai. I twisted and turned for want of some cool air, and I was wearing jeans. Thick ones. Brilliant strategy again. HUGE mistake number two. I only had Suketu Mehta's Maximum City for company, and I read quite a lot of it, before he got to the part where he describes Mumbai's sweaty weather. I couldn't bear it anymore. The only relief was the infinite flow of food vendors. I love Gujaratis and their food. I had a lot of stuff - bhel, khaman, chai, dhokla and something else which I don't know what to call but was suspiciously yellow. To hell with it, I thought. I was going to die of the heat anyway. 

There was a couple opposite my berth, and they were coochie-cooing. I just hoped it didn't reach Bandstand proportions. They were my source of entertainment, actually. The guy was ignoring the girl's requests to talk to her parents (like all normal guys). Instead, he chose the best way out. He rested his head in the girl's lap and fell asleep. I managed to catch a wink or two also. Then suddenly, when Surat came near, the guy got up, went down, wore his shades and sat still. Like a beggar. Like a statue. The girl had no clue what had happened. She got down and tried asking him, but he was motionless. Sitting there with his pink shirt (Gujarat remember!) and his black shades, only a bowl was missing if you know what I mean. I slept off again, and woke up when the train pulled out of Surat. Here's where the fun began.

I got down and my sandals were gone. Poof. I asked around, and the aunty said that a sweeper had just passed by. That made sense. But another uncle told me that 'Shades guy' had taken my sandals and gone. WHY WOULD HE TAKE MINE? Didn't he have his own? Luckily I had an extra pair of shoes, but they were formal ones. 

There I was, looking like a doofus with a tee, a blue jeans and BLACK FORMAL SHOES! Even in the land where men wear floral prints in bright colours, I looked like an idiot. And now I had two choices. Take off the shoes, keep them in the bag, go to the kiln on top and roast alive till Ahmedabad arrived. Or wear the shoes, burn below beside the window, and wait for Ahmedabad. I chose the former. At least I could sleep there. So I did. Till evening came and with it the cool 35 degree air. Heaven!

TO BE CONTINUED...

8 comments:

Nikita Banerjee said...

Shit...sandals gone! What a looser! And dude you should have taken an AC train?

Uffff...anyways they say kisika chappal chori jaye toh its okay. Its like the panvati is gone with it!

SSD said...

@Nikita Ticket nahi mila na AC ka. I hope naya panvati nahi chalu hua!

rvnd said...

why do injustice or procrastination? post the entire story dost!

Neeraj said...

Hmm nice way of making sure people will come back and read. Btw, floral printed shirts FTW! The worst part is the Gujjus wear those shirts so unabashedly that you'd think they are the in-thing! I dont know whats to come in the story but if you didnt catch a glimpse of big gujju 'femily' or a Gujju 'femily' get together then you really missed something =D

HarriettAckley0317 said...

Nice blog85cc,咆哮小老鼠,85街,免費影片,情趣爽翻天,愛戀情人用品,交友找啦咧,線上a片,女同志聊天室,sexy,色情網站,網愛聊天室,情色性愛貼圖,小穴,性愛姿勢,陰脣室,成人圖貼,性愛技巧,a片論壇,色情,85c,sexy網,人妻,脫衣,6k,18禁,手淫,性幻想,77p2p,情色,1007,85c,0401,後宮,色情,淫蕩,正妹,77p2p,ut室

Digant Trivedi said...

More than all gujju phemilees it is the awesomely fashionable guys who wear oh-so-hot looking clothes. The girls are still okay. The game ends when they open their mouth. So yeah, lots of money, but God gave us no stahyle..

皓珊 said...

Unable to give you a heart. so have a reply to push up your post. ........................................

興偉 said...

ut聊天77p2p85cc85st85街視訊視訊聊天ava片a片下載成人情色色情影音視訊聊天洪爺影城洪爺免費視訊免費a片免費一對多utsogo論壇ut聊天室成人片免費看................