Friday, April 2, 2010

Dilli Dallying

I recently visited the capital city. For yet another MBA interview. Now I shall refrain from describing the interview, because it was just another interview. But I was actually looking forward to my trip because it was my first time travelling in a plane. I had heard horror stories about how it gets really wobbly and how people are puking left right and centre. I just hoped I didn't (and also the one sitting beside me).  It was perhaps the most expensive trip ever in my life. And I will put it down in points because, I don't know why :)

1. I flew to Delhi in Go Air. They followed a funny safety routine where the poor air-hostesses had to gesture and act out the instructions. I guess they must be accustomed to it. 

2. Delhi was HOT. I've lived 4 years in Nagpur, and I still felt Delhi was hotter. I got down at the airport and took a prepaid cab to my place in Panchsheel Park, South Delhi. Thankfully, I didn't get robbed (#mumbaikarsperceptionofdelhi). And the first thing I see after the cab turns out into the main highway is a carcass of a dead dog. Another thing I noticed was that almost all the cars had dents, scratches and remnants of an 'encounter'. I experienced Delhi's mad traffic for the first time after 15 years, when the cabbie almost ran into a BMW (Yea Delhi!) when the BMW just revved across the street from the extreme left to the rightmost lane. 
I finally reached the place which was quite near my centre - IIT Delhi. 

3. I was supposed to meet a friend at SDA market. But I couldn't get a single rickshaw auto to the place. Why the strikethrough? Because rickshaw means the cycle rickshaw. I walked to the place and almost got ran over by two cars while I crossed on my green signal.  
We had something to eat and it turned out, that we were both indecisive about what to do next. So we headed to the friend's college. Which is JNU.

4. Now, I'd heard all about JNU, its love for communism, jhola, Fabindia kurtas and other such stereotypes. There are also Maoist sympathisers. There are posters put up across the college buildings saying "Maoism - The only way", "Work, Struggle" and other such things. JNU doesn't allow franchisees on campus. The capitalist pig that I am, I found it revolting and quite depressing to see the underground rundown canteen (Sorry, Rini!). I took some pics too, but my phone is now a breeding ground for viruses, so I can't download it.

5. We then went to the highest point of JNU (or Delhi? Rini?) from where was quite a good view. It would have been even better if we didn't have a scorching sun drying our lives out. We were also given company by some kids (5-6 of them) getting 'high' on one can of draught beer and a quarter of vodka. They had also started shouting in English. One of them said, "Oye man, light this cig. Isko light kar. I'm...I'm very very...high." 

But my light-heartedness was ruined by some weird thing in my eye which rendered it red. Almost crimson. 'Bloodshot eyes' never had an more apt example. I was roaming around looking like a drunk pirate. 

6. IIT Delhi is old, and not a very nice campus. I saw the paranthewala mentioned in Five Point Someone. And the DoMS is on the other freaking end of the campus, with a nullah running through it, not unlike Nag River a la VNIT. IIT Delhi seemed even hotter. The interview got delayed, but nothing more on that.

7. I was flying back by Kingfisher, and I wondered which one of Mallya's famed beauties would be at my service. I only hoped it wouldn't be from the Nagpur branch, which was right outside VNIT (VNITians know why!). Or maybe it would? Sure would have been nice to go back and eat orange barfi, and do some jhaamal jhaamal on the plane! Kingfisher has Yana Gupta deliver the safety instructions (on recorded video of course). Yo Mallya!

8. I now know why being a pilot is such an adrenalin rush (NO! Not the girls. Maybe a bit!) The rush that the sudden speed the plane catches while taking off is amazing. I could feel it as a passenger (maybe because I was a first timer) and I'm sure the pilot likes it too. 


9. Delhi has an INFINITE number of hot women (Srini, thanks for reminding me :P). I swear. And I also learnt how to wear a tie. Over the phone. #win

Delhi trip was cool enough, except for the eye thing, which is now back to normal. Missed out meeting another friend due to that. Stupid eye!

10 comments:

srini said...

ur "stupid eye" din't eye any hotties ?

Nikita Banerjee said...

Sheesh! I keep hearing about the terrible heat and have to make a trip to Delhi mostly in May. I would be fried...quite a good read this post!

Mufaddal said...

Rini as in Handa?
Delhi is hot and dumb - Place and People :P
watte experience.. next time kill the commies... but i hate the franchises - Hail Self Enterprise!

SSD said...

@Nikita You will be in 'parda'kyunki bahu ko lihaaz karna zaruri hai :P

@Mufy Yes. Mumbai people generally don't like Delhi and vice versa I've observed.

惠蘋惠蘋 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Grace Personified said...

@mufaddal : "Rini as in Handa?" love that! :P
the next sentence, not so much.

@SSD : Its not my personal jaagir, why the apologies! Next time visit during dilli ki sardi.

SSD said...

@Rini Tadpaye tarsaye re :P

Agent Orange said...

Let's hope Ahmedabad is better.

黃政弘 said...

人並不是生來要吃敗仗的。人可被毀滅,但不可被擊倒。..................................................

Neha said...

same experience of dilli ki garmi last week n also of first time travelling in a flight! N i told my friend in delhi d same thing that nagpur ki garmi is better than dilli ki garmi..could relate to this blog totally!